About the game Edit
The game tries to focus on simplicity with a "pick up and play" feel that isn't daunting to new players. Fighting takes place on a 3D field and allows characters to move backwards, forwards, and sidestep left and right with ease. Most of the fighting is done with range-based attacks, but it is possible to attack from a short range and use grapple moves on your opponent. The fighting system only utilizes two main buttons, attack and guard. Each character controls in exactly the same manner; however, each character has a set of unique attacks along with an ultra-attack that requires the player to expel Power Stocks. By holding the down the attack button, a character can charge up to 3 Power Stocks. The time that it takes to fully charge a stock depends on the current health of the character; a character with more health will take longer to charge while a character with minimal health could charge all 3 stocks in a few seconds. Many characters feature attacks that have lengthy animations, which adds a more dramatic and dynamic feel to battles. A general "dramatic" encounter can occur if both characters perform a dash attack at each other at the same time. This results in an event called a Pressure Dash where both characters must rapidly hit buttons in order to gain an advantage over the other player. The most notable animations are those used for each character's ultra-attack, which can last up to 20 seconds long. These animations can become even longer when they are used as the attack that will finish the opponent.
- Danzaiver - "Exceptional Inspector" Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki (Japanese); Jon St. John (English)
- Age: 21 (Japan), 21 (America)
- Danzaiver is the Self-Proclaimed Main Character. Special inspector Danzaiver (real name Sho Mikagami) heads to I-Praseru to release his partner Yuri from the Evil Zone. Yuri is being used to stabilise Evil Zone to contain Ihadurca. Danzaiver is supported by Yuri’s twin sister Ruri. In his home dimension he is fighting the crime syndicate Crios headed by Gillaclva, who apparently bears striking resemblance to Ihadulca. He is a parody of all the heroes in henshin (transformation) hero genre most notably the Metal Hero shows like Space Sheriff Gavan, his name is a parody of Sho Fukamachi from the Guyver series. Famous among players for his battle cry, "The power of the Supreme Ruler destroys evil! The ultimate hero! DANZAIVER!!"
- Setsuna Saizuki - "The Guardian Angel" Voiced by: Kyoko Hikami (Japanese); Moriah Seebold (English)
- Age: 14 (Japan), 21 (America)
- Setsuna has another separate entity existing within her (how exactly is never explained). This entity is called Karin and takes the form of another girl in a translucent form that apparently only Setsuna can see. It is Karin that gives Setsuna her supernatural abilities and the sword, Klau Solas.
- Setsuna is friends with another cast member, Midori Himeno. All of Setsuna’s physical fighting moves had been taught to Setsuna by Midori. She is also acquainted with Keiya. Her blazer uniform is brought up in a few of the other character’s story modes.
- Linedwell Rainrix - "A Medium at Daybreak" Voiced by: Issei Futamata (Japanese); Rick Calvert (English)
Age: 20 (Japan), 21 (America)
Also known as Lie. Linedwell Rainrix stole a sword named Shahal from an antique shop. The sword grants him a variety of unusual abilities. It is suggested throughout the game that Shahal is an incarnation of Satan. The sword does possess Lie late on in his story. Kakurine and Ihadurca are aware of its identity.
- Erel Plowse - "Mercenary" Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima (Japanese); Susan Wakefield (English)
Age: 17 (Japan), 21 (America)
Erel uses a special suit of armor that rests on top of her shoulders she calls Nephilm, powered by her spirit to fight. It is revealed that it was once called the armor Void, and was created by Kakurine.
Erel’s story mode has the characters she is about to fight appear in each prologue sequence in a kind of comedy sketch. Often the kind of sketch is dependent on which character she will fight.
Erel is hopelessly in love with Al and frequently acts out or ponders fantasy romance situations with him through the game.
Her in-game model was different in the American version of the game, with her revealing leotard being modified to cover her legs and butt. Her appearance in the European version, and in the animated cutscenes and title cards of the American version remained unchanged.
- Gally 'Vanish' Gregman - "The Bounty Hunter" Voiced by: Tesshō Genda (Japanese); Paul Eiding (English)
Age: 36 (Japan), 36 (America)
Gally is hired to kill Ihadurca by a client. He has a large sword and a form of mechanical armor that can shoot missiles and lasers. He has a wife who appears with him during the trailer sequences for each episode in the story mode. He is apparently a keen piano player and tries to hide his drinking from his wife.
- Keiya Tenpouin - "The Man in the Shadow" Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (Japanese); Chris Wilcox (English)
Age: 24 (Japan), 24 (America)
Keiya is an onmyoji who is planning to kill Ihadurca and claim her power for his own. He wishes to use it to restore what is only referred to as the ‘energy’ of his friend or lover Himika. Himika’s energy was apparently drained by Lie at some point in the past. Consequently, Keiya hates Lie.
Keiya’s story mode is unique in that during the trailer sequences he receives letters asking for advice. These letters are sent by the individual Keiya will fight in the next episode, each letter is often a reflection on the character that sent it. For example, Gally asks how he can hide his drinking from his wife while Kakurine’s letter has no return address or postage and simply states how much she wishes to kill Ihadurca.
- Midori Himeno - "Grappler and Passionate" Voiced by: Noriko Hidaka (Japanese); Lani Minella (English)
Age: 18 (Japan), 21 (America)
Midori Himeno is a passionate martial artist who is next in line to inherit her family’s dojo. She is friends with Setsuna and refers to her as Yuki. She also knows Keiya Tenpouin and despises him. Midori battles the other characters to train her attack move that she will use to become the successor to the Fuin Dojo.
- Alty Al Lazel - "Wizard" Voiced by: Akiko Yajima (Japanese); Lani Minella (English)
Age: 15 (Japan), 21 (America)
Al is a middle name given to court magicians. Although this is how Al is referred to though most of the game Al himself does not like it. Al fights using a magical formula called Lost Legacy that consists of seemingly fire based offensive spells. He is in love with Erel and enters the tournament to stop her from being hurt. Al and Erel were likely inspired by the Slayers manga and anime. He was the one who summoned most of the other characters to I-Praseru.
- Kakurine - "Priestess" Voiced by: Omi Minami (Japanese); Moriah Seebold (English)
Age: 10010 (Japan), 10010 (America)
Although she is over 10,000 years old, she looks, sounds and acts like a little girl. She has super transcendental powers. Kakurine wants to destroy Ihadurca, Lea's incarnation, in order to bring her childhood friend Lea back to one existence.
- Ihadurca - "The Absolute Existence" Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue (Japanese); Lani Minella (English)
Age: 23 (Japan), 23 (America)
Lea's incarnation in the world of I-Praseru. Her original name was Ihadurca Il Immella, and she was a court magician in a state of I-Praseru before Lea possessed her. She was sealed away by the inhabitants of I-Praseru. Recently, she has been nearing escape from Evil Zone, therefore Alty was made to summon warriors from other dimensions to destroy her.
When was it invented Edit
This game came out on May 31st, 1999.