About the game/Gameplay Edit
Cardinal Syn is 3D fighting game with free roaming features that allows you to move around a small interactive stage during the fight, similar to Ehrgeiz. The combatants are designed out of a dark fantasy world similar to Dungeons & Dragons, a great number of them non-human, each armed with melee weapons fitting for the style. The title gave access to combos, juggles, stage hazards, finishing moves, projectiles and battlefield power-ups.Warfare had engulfed the Clans of the Bloodlands for many generations, each having a great hatred for the other. But one day a mysterious being put a stop to the carnage, summoning all the clans together and read from his Book of Knowledge which spoke of the harmony they could achieve by uniting in peace. For many years, the Clans put aside their weapons and enjoyed peace under the guidance of the stranger they had named the "Wanderer". Then when the land seemed to be paling and dying, the stranger divided the Book into scrolls and gave one to each clan before he vanished before their very eyes. It took no time at all before the Clans were at each other's throats, vying for control of all the scrolls in the Book's entirety and war again fiercely reclaimed the Bloodlands.
And then, in the middle of a particularly brutal battle, a mysterious and powerful sorceress known as Syn appeared brandishing the icon of the Wanderer that he had used as a symbol of clan unity. She coerced the clan leaders to hand their scrolls over to her where she turned them into three inscribed swords which held the knowledge of the Book. She then declared a tournament. Each clan would send its greatest warrior to engage in battles to the death. The survivor and winner of the tournament would be declared ruler of their Clan and given the entire Bloodlands to command, as well as gain access to the secrets of the swords. Yet that first tournament saw no winner, as Syn herself secretly killed the final warrior. Centuries passed and the wars raged on but now a new tournament is about to be held and the Clan leaders are sending their very best to battle for the rite to power.
- Finkster, from the Clan of the Thieves, hopes to steal the Book of Secrets and sell it to the highest bidder.
- Hecklar, from the Clan of the Jester, formerly Syn's court jester, he wants to be taken seriously as a hero.
- McKrieg, from the Clan of the Dwarves, wants to gain power to stop the recent raids on his clan's villages by the Lizardfolk.
- Mongoro, from the Clan of the Cyclops, the strongest cyclops, he only wants to kill and eat whoever is unfortunate to cross his path.
- Nephra, from the Clan of the Sethite, she works to please a mysterious stone idol, the three swords are its latest request.
- Princess Orion, from Clan of the Elves, wants to save her kingdom and ailing father.
- Plague, from the Clan of the Wretched, hopes to raise an army of undead using Syn's power.
- Vanguard, from the Clan of the Knights, fights to uphold truth, justice, and the protection of his people.
- Bimorphia, a grotesque male/female construct made by Syn, seeking revenge and to destroy the secrets which created him/her.
- Moloch, from the Clan of the Lizardfolk, seeking revenge on humanity in general, and wants a world ruled by his species.
- Juni, from the Clan of the Fairies, defeating Syn will stop her lands from dying.
- Kahn, from the Clan of the Marauders, defeating Syn will prove himself to be the strongest warrior in all of the Bloodlands.
- Mongwan, from the Clan of the Ascetics, practically same storyline as Vodu.
- Redemptor, leads a mysterious cult who execute criminals, his true intention is unknown.
- Stygian, a pile of assorted bones reanimated by Syn's magic, seeks power to become alive once more.
- Vodu, from the Clan of the Shamans, had a terrible vision, and sets out to stop an imminent apocalypse caused by Syn.
- Syn, the evil witch herself.
- Kron, Syn after undergoing a dragon transformation using the full extent of her power.
When was it invented Edit
This game came out on June 30th, 1998.