About the game Edit
Each character has his or her own unique set of basic moves, special attacks, and a desperation attack that can only be used when the player has low energy (around 10% or less). The player is able to move in 3D around the 3D arenas using the L/R shoulder buttons, which can be used to dodge projectile attacks, or get away from a dangerous spot.
Players move using the directional pad. Holding the backwards directional button allows the player to block basic attacks and reduces most of the damage from opponents' special moves. Players can also run by quickly tapping the forward directional button.
Initially playable characters:
- Eiji Shinjo - The main protagonist of the series. A young Japanese traveling swordsman who seeks to find his long lost older brother, Sho.
- Kayin Amoh - A Scottish (later retconned as English) swordsman/bounty hunter who happens to be a friend and rival of Eiji. He seeks to avenge the death of his foster father, who was killed by the previous tournament's champion from last year.
- Sofia - A blonde Russian woman who works as a private detective. She seeks to find her lost memory.
- Rungo Iron - A strong yet kind-hearted miner who seeks to rescue his wife Lila and his son Christopher from the Secret Society.
- Fo Fai - An elderly Chinese magician who doubles as a cold-hearted killer.
- Mondo - An emotionless ninja warrior who infiltrates the tournament under orders from a rival group of the Secret Society.
- Duke B. Rambert - A chivalrous French knight who seeks to find and defeat Eiji in order to avenge a past loss against him.
- Ellis - A cheerful orphaned dancer of a traveling theater troupe who seeks to discover on whether or not her father is still alive.
Unlockable Characters Edit
- Gaia - The sponsor of the tournament and boss of the game. His reasons for holding the tournament in the first place is shrouded in mystery. He is later revealed to be the father of Ellis.
- Sho Shinjo - The secret final boss of the game. The champion from last year's previous tournament and Eiji's older brother, he is a merciless swordsman who holds nothing back from within the fights that he participates in.
- Cupido (Sega Saturn version) - A mysterious woman who speaks with cryptic riddles and messages. Her past is shrouded in mystery and not much is known about her. The "true" final boss in this version.
- Uranus (Game Boy version)
- Earthworm Jim (PC version) - A guest character who happens to be the main protagonist from his own self-named series. His attacks are identical to Rungo Iron's.
When was it invented Edit
This game was also another Launch Title for the Playstation 1.